Te Arawa arrives in Aotearoa. Hei, the uncle of Tamatekapua, settles his people at Te O ā Hei (Hahei) at Hereheretaura pā. The descendents of Kupe, who arrived c950, may already have occupied the area. The river Taputapuatea is thought to have been named by them after the marae in Rai’atea (Tahiti).
Descendants of Hei spread across the eastern peninsula, with its safe harbours and offshore islands. Plentiful kai moāna, tītī and resources such as basalt rock, used for adze and weapon making, made the area highly attractive and raids from the North and South were common.
Hei Turepe was a direct descendant of Hei, and under his leadership Whitianga pā thrived, The pā was set on the promontory above the Whitianga inlet, with the cliffs providing natural defences.
The HMS Endeavour arrives in Te Whanganui a Hei (Mercury Bay). Ngāti Hei rangatira Toawaka was one of the first to be welcomed onboard the ship and is known to have met with Captain Cook.
Already diminished from previous raids, almost all Ngāti Hei perish at Wharekaho pā, located on the ridge above Wharetaewa pā, this time raided by Ngāpuhi during the “musket wars”.
Maggie Kupae was the last known Ngāti Hei tūpuna buried in an urupā opposite Whitianga wharf. Today, this busy commercial area of bars, cafes, restaurants and the Whitianga museum, is still considered wāhi tapu to Ngāti Hei.
The great-great-grandson of Toawaka, Tahere Raunui Tanui, who bore the mark of chieftainship, the bound or crooked foot, or pikowaewae, dies. He is buried in the urupā at Wharetaewa pā.
Ohinau Island, taken by the Crown in 1923 without investigation of title in the Maori Land Court, was finally returned to Ngāti Hei.
Over 2,000 people joined a hikoi up Wharekaho beach to below Wharetaewa pā where over 900 dignitaries, boat crew and locals join in a pōhiri to mark the 250th anniversary of the arrival of Captain Cook’s Endeavour.